First sled purchase

Hey, all!
So………I am finally buying a sled. With that being said I have no idea about sleds besides what I can research online.
I will be buying used with a budget of 7k. I live in Clark fork at the base of the cabinets. Most of my skiing is touring from alpine steep to chill laps for a exercise. Sled would be used mostly for getting up roads to trailheads with some other fun learning to ride objectives in winter and spring. Beside a helmet is there other specialty gear needed or required if just using it for skiing? What’s considered high mileage? A good length? Anyone of some thought/ideas on purchasing a used first time sled owner? Thanks all!

Chad

Welcome to the sled crew! The following is my opinion only, so take it as you wish.
I got two 800's with 163 tracks. I would highly recommend that size. You can get away with smaller track/engine, especially on established trails just to get you to an access point. However, you will want to go beyond those points at the end of year 1 or beginning of year 2, even more is accessible if you can sidehill & climb powder. I would stay away from tricked out sleds because they have probably been beaten up alot (especially if they had a turbo). Once you find a sled you like, google the owners manual to understand the maintenance schedule (based on mileage) and you can determine how well it's been taken care of. I think most are rebuilt @ 2k miles. Don't quote me on that. Look at the tracks carefully to see if they are beaten up or solid. Check suspension to see if it's loose, which may indicate they need more air (easy) or rebuilt (not easy). I've attached a simple video put out by forest service that can show some key points to reviewing a sled. This is more geared towards pre-ride checklist, but it applies to purchases and gives you more knowledge.

As for gear... You need a ski rack on the back, order those right when you know what model you're buying because they sold out last year before the season started.. And they aren't cheap. A framing skis on a sled can suck. Ski boots take getting used to, but my buddies do it all the time.

Feel free to hit me up with questions, I am not an expert but recently purchased some so I know what you're going through. Also, hit me up once you got it and we'll get out there.

Hey! Thanks for some great info. I had no idea and a ski rack was completely off my radar. I plan on making the purchase here in the next month or so
Missed two seasons of touring and now it’s time to get back in the game. Do you make it up this way much?

You should be able to get a nice sled for 7k. Get an 800 or 850, big track (160 or longer) and look for low miles, say under 2,500. All the manufactures make good machines, but some years/models have problems. If you find one, check the internet forums for problems in that particular model/year.

Hey! Thanks for some great info. I had no idea and a ski rack was completely off my radar. I plan on making the purchase here in the next month or so
Missed two seasons of touring and now it’s time to get back in the game. Do you make it up this way much?
I'm always game to get up that way, I normally spend winters splitting between silver valley and selkirks. Last year was mostly Silver valley due to the avy conditions and me being more comfortable there. My goal this year is to get in selkirks and hoodoo pass more. Always welcome to join

PowderPanda

Staff member
Well.. These @Patrick B & @matmaster nailed it.
Typical rebuild is between 2000-2500, usually consists of a top end. Which isn't too bad on the wallet at about $500-600. Def Do Not Buy someones Built out sled, least amount of modifications the better. Personally, none is what I opt for as well as stay away from Turbo's.
As Patrick noted, check the slack (up down) on the back track shock, check the handle bars ensuring in-line and no slack. Check the brake fluid, look at the oil canister, is it really low.

I will note, My first years before going to a sled rack, I just placed the board in the pack horizontally. It worked great, just not if you have any tight trees. LoL (speaking from experience).

Keep us up to date and as Patrick said, reach out if you find something and want more eyes to look.

They are difficult to find but looking for a sled with <500 mi is worth the extra costs IMO. As a ski/sledder I don’t put many miles on the machine in a winter even though I take it out as much as I can. My hope is getting many years out of it and still be able to sell it with low miles, <1800 as a ski tourers sled. Plus low miles give me the false sense of security when heading out haha!

idsnowghost

Staff member
Great suggestions above. You won't need much of a sled to get at skiing right out of the town of Clark Fork though:

They groom Lightning Creek, Trestle Creek on the regular. Wellington Creek a few times a winter. Plenty of skiing to be had by parking on the side of the groomed trail. There's even a nice warming hut up there.

PowderPanda

Staff member
I have to note.. It's rad to see the increase in Sled/Skiers. It was limited to just a few of us for so long, now there are others exploring!!!

Yeah, I’m at the base of the cabinets outside of Clark Fork and I feel a sled is mandatory to actually make it to the goods! Now I just have to learn how to drive/ride one.

I have to note.. It's rad to see the increase in Sled/Skiers. It was limited to just a few of us for so long, now there are others exploring!!!

You ever end up finding a sled? I was going to say that mo pros and cheetah factory racing have good sled rack options. I ordered a new mo pros one, and they just notified me of shipping delays. So not sure when it will arrive, it was supposed to be here this month.. :mad: