Chastised for Going Solo

Today, I got chastised (repeatedly) for riding the Schweitzer side country solo.

I do it all the time, resort sidecountry or even some pretty remote backcountry, but my risk tolerance goes way down when I do. Other people frown on going solo at anytime, and those people apparently love to tell others that its a bad idea, that its unsafe. I experienced this today as I headed to the Schweitzer side-country. On my way out of the gates off the triple no less than three people proceeded to tell me that I was being unsafe for riding out of bounds solo. Two of the guys were actually pretty cool, that other guy was a dick (he was a skier, not a splitboarder :D ).

So, it got me thinking. Was I being foolish? What do you guys think? Is riding solo sidecountry or backcountry foolish? I know some of you fellow hardcores do it, dont lie.....;)

Been doing it for over 20 years, and many times when I've skied w/others poorer decisions were made. As I told someone once when lecturing me, I'm living life not just existing in it. In summation if you are using the grey matter and making smart decisions there you go.

I will acknowledge there have been 3 seperate solo skier issues this week, and weird things can happen out in the wild

I'm fine with it. My risk tolerance also goes waaaaaaay down, and I feel like I'm way more focused on the terrain/snowpack than when I'm with a group. Honestly when I'm out solo I usually end up exploring zones from safe areas, and scoping stuff to come back to with a group/partner. I don't get much satisfaction out of dropping a gnarly line or whatever when I'm on my own, I'd way rather shoot someone else doing it.

I would not call myself hardcore and I definitely do not have 20 years of backcountry skiing experience.
But I have done side country often without a partner. My goals when doing so are mellow, I do not push my limits physically, by doing a bunch of laps, and I make sure that running out of daylight is not going to be a problem.
As has been stated above, it definitely helps me to be more focused on my surroundings and the terrain when on my own. And I prefer the solitude.
It may kill me, but I am pretty sure I am more likely to get killed on the drive home!
My wife MUCH prefers if I have a partner- she worries cause I tend to get lost at the mall!!

There are a people I have taken backcountry and side country that I will never take again. They do not have the needed grey matter or /correct mindset. They would not be able to help me if I needed them, and they certainly are a liability to have with.
Those are often the same guys that get themselves in trouble solo. They tend to have a lot of "adventure" in there lives!
I personally don't like adventure of that sort!

I'm headed out solo tomorrow..... unless any of you want to join me? I don't mind it, just be smart and acutely aware of red flags. I agree, when I'm solo my senses are heightened. Accidents can always happen but I'd rather take that risk than sitting on my ass at home. Anyways, if anyone reading this wants to tour tomorrow give me a call. Otherwise I'm going solo :)
Jason
208 640 4240

They were just mad you were going out to have more fun than them. Let the haters hate and stick with your common sense and a little BC education. I live right at the bottom of the Schwizz though, always looking for touring partners despite frequently touring solo as well. Feel free to hit me up if you feel like some company on your next mission. 509-990-8440

Overheard in the Great Escape lift line yesterday morning... "I have a transceiver and they say it is the same as wearing a seat belt, if not safer." I turned around with my jaw dropped only to be blinded by the brightest, shiniest white boots I had ever seen. I had to know what was going on, so at the top of the lift I waited and then skated up to chair #6 and then down to the TBar waiting to see where this was headed. At the top of the TBar the gang of 6 conveyed. Two of them had a backpack that I could barely fit my coffee canteen in. No shovels, no probes...nothing. Holy f*ck they were fired up to charge up to Big Blue....all that said...based on my scientific study, your chance of survival was likely far greater then others exiting the gates yesterday.

Last edited:
Getting back inbounds with a bum knee just plain sucks, but it beats laying around in the snow. Part of the risk though. Full story requires buying me a beer

It is a matter of comfort level. Some people are not comfortable going to the mall with hundreds of other people around.
The trick is to not let comfort morph into complacency.

I think the only thing you have done that is foolish is to associate being a dick with being a skier.
No B/C user group has a monopoly on being dicks.
I saw no less than 6 dicks at Lookout Pass yesterday throwing beer cans off the chair lift...they were not skiers.