Canuck Splitfest- week 01/05 to 01/09/2015

PowderPanda

Staff member
Well, I contemplated whether this should go in Tour Reports, but it's really and event report.
Here ya go... Last week started off with my picking up Mike Meru (@hukesnow on IG).
I'm going to cut out the info on Red Mtn & Big Red Cats and move onto the good stuff.
Late Wed night we rolled into Revy and met up with the rest of the Panhandle crew; Jason Keen (@k.p0w), Jason Jameson (@mooseknuckles) Peter Matins (@pm_epicpow) and Chris Linden (@huckandchuck).
On Thursday, Kpow Hukesnow Mooseknuckles and I spent the day heli boarding with Eagle Pass heli.. As it always is, the day was off the hook as we had Scott Newsome himself be our guide (Newsome is the first splitboarder to pass the stringent ACMG certification). We got cliffs, chutes and pillow drops. Due to weather we were held lower in the mountains.. but that didn't stop Newsome.
As it is... Newsome convinced us to go on Friday as the weather was clearing and he wanted to get us into some serious terrain. BAMShazam.. did we... Newsome gave us a basic avy chute heli drop.. LoL This was our staple for the day, no less than 4 avalanche paths at about 45+ degree slopes and 5 couloirs where they take the pro's for photo shoots.
During Friday's heli, Epicpow & huckandchuck headed off for a short tour in Rogers Pass. Getting some fun turns and a warm-up for the next day.
Note, nothing in the roger's pass is really short warm-up, everything consists of several thousand feet of climbing to get a single line.
On Sat, Kpow, Hukesnow, huckandchuck & Epicpow took their small crew up into Balu Pass area off Rogers Pass proper and snagged a sick classic couloir "STS Couloir". Another shorter objective was worked on as well, but i do not know which it was (I'll let one of them chime in for that).
Meanwhile, Mooseknuckles and I were not pushing for a hard charger, so we saw a sick avy chute that had no tracks in it, then made our way up. The line is called "Frequent Flyer".. This gave us a super nice lines down to the valley floor. As we found later, Frequent Flyer is that because it slides frequently.. and hadn't yet this year. The laugh became a little nervous.. LOL
Now to the actual event night, where there were several speakers. I listen to the 2 main lectures. 1st from CAC about this years snowpack and how things are looking. The 2nd from the Canadian Weather expert and how el Ninò is affecting us and next year may be a la Ninà. The others were too boring for me.. so I drank and socialized with the Calgary crew and other IG peeps.
At the raffle... EpicPow made out, snagging aneverSummer splitboard and Kpow a Powsurf board. Several of us won smaller prizes... which got some boo's as we yelled "PANHANDLE" each time!!! Hahahahaha "E'merica"

We do it all again next year... so put in your book to go. It is NEVER a dull moment..

I have to start this thread with the best pic by Kpow (this pic is also featured by Eagle Pass and on Newsome's IG... Newsmen and I at the entrance to Magic couloir:

IMG_1854.JPG
Thuis chute was indicative of the first day of riding.. steep line's cliffs, chutes, pillows.
IMG_1607.jpg

Taylor percy (EP employee and a bud from previous years) tagged Newsome's board with our sticker..
from left to right: Kpow, me, Newsome, Mooseknuckles, Hukesnow
IMG_1633.JPG

The Legend with his new Chimera split and Panhandle sticker.. day 2IMG_1650.jpg

Newsmen and Tyler (pilot) scoping Magic before we drop... the tension was palatable in the heli now...
IMG_1658.JPG

Not often that The Man, Newsome, takes a pic... So I snagged epic of him doing so.. yes, that drop away slope was about 50 degrees.

IMG_1673.JPG

Newsmen and I standing at the top of beast.. IMG_1683.jpg

Kpow exiting the coulee..

IMG_1684.jpg

Moose knuckles on the exit..

IMG_1706.jpg

Day 4 riding:
EpicPow getting his slash on in Rogers Pass.

IMG_1852.JPG

Huckandchuck deep in the pow.. Rogers Pass.
IMG_1853.JPG

More pix coming...