Any suggestions for 12/28/13

Anybody have a suggestion for a tour tomorrow or possibly Sunday (I know, its a little late at night for planning this)? A buddy and I are really itching to get out, but not sure what's in play yet with the meager snowpack. Both safety minded individuals with Avy 1 training. Both on gear we don't want to thrash. Thanks!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Brandon,
Sorry, didn't see this until now.
Do you have sleds? I ask because anything good is above 5500ft level, and even from Lookout Pass it's a hike! At this point, that is where I would suggest. They have a 1 ride lift tick up chair 1. Check the Tour reports for my tour of St Regis Basin. Head up to East Willow PK, about an hour. Some nice zones there. Also check my Mini Bowl tour, it is a NW facing bowl and holds snow nice. Easy skin back onto the ridge. ABout an hr tour there.. then spend a bit in the bowl and drop all the way down Mini Bowl Ridge to the basin. But it is a 2 mile hike out.. or if you get to the Chair 2 base they will usually let ya on it to get out.. cutting out a mile slog on the road out!

Thanks for the beta. We do have 1 sled at our disposal, but still need to get it licensed in Idaho. Sounds like a bit of work to get to the goods, but at this point we are getting a little desperate. My touring partner and I met you at the Snowlander Expo and again at Mt. Spokane in the lodge 1 parking lot back on that 11/16 storm day. Would love to hook up for a tour out in your stomping grounds one of these days.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey Brandon… Yeah, we gave ya a hard time for not going yet.
BTW… Found some great goods using the sled riding the snowmobile trail South of Burkes Substation up to the 5200ft level. West Grouse PK was really good on the SE aspect. We rode that today and did 3 runs.
The snow was very stable as well. I thought it was going to be baked from the inversion… but it was good!!

That said.. anything below 5000ft level is nasty and very thin.

Never made it out last weekend as my truck decided to try to self destruct on the way to the mountain. Got it fixed up and we are ready to give it another try on Saturday 1/4. Is anybody interested in showing the two of us around the Lookout/St. Regis area? We have never toured out that way and would love to get info from those who know the area!

Last edited:

PowderPanda

Staff member
Hey Brandon.. Fresh back from Revelstoke. Did you get out last weekend? This next one looks promising! Depending on how snow is received will be a determining factor on avy danger though!

We did get out for a tour on Saturday with Nick who started the other thread. We had overall good weather, visibility was excellent and minimal wind. We found 6" or so of really light powder above 5500' or so which became more like 10" above 6000'. We kept it mellow in the trees on the ridge due to our lack of knowledge of the area (as described in your Mini Bowl Tour I believe). Had a great time as it was just good to ski some powder again. More snow needed though as anything below 5000' was combat skiing.

Can't wait to see what this next storm brings - I just hope the FLs don't go sideways on us!

PowderPanda

Staff member
Brandon.. Yeah, below 5200 sucks!!
If you get your sled out.. Another mellow spot with good sled access is West Grouse PK.. Take the last Wallace exit, head back to Burke substation and park.. then sled up the main South road up to the saddle. From there West Grouse PK is to the West and you can park on a bother sub saddle then skin up.. Ride the SE facing slopes. 35 degrees about, but stable.. Lots of fun and easy skin back up!!