Anaconda

Discussion in 'General' started by oldgrowthpaddlecompany, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Anybody now anything about backcountry touring near Anaconda or Discovery Basin?
    PowderPanda likes this.
  2. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

Hey OldGrowth... Checkout:

http://getoutridehard.blogspot.com/

Panhandle Member Dave Glueckert @dmgluek writes this blog and lives in Missoula. He has done extensive touring all around SW MT.
  3. teledance

teledance

There is a small old ski area near Anaconda, 25 year old memory so name escapes me, but always wanted to hike it.
  4. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

Geeez Richard.. Google, who needs memory!!! LoL
    Discovery
    https://www.skidiscovery.com/
  5. thanks, it looks like there are a lot of opitons, we only have a couple of days.......there is a place called "sugar loaf lodge" that has access to the continential divide. those mtns look incredible
    PowderPanda likes this.
  6. teledance

teledance

Not Disco skied there love the backside, great if you like black diamonds. The one I mentioned is a closed hill in the area probably overgrown now. I've driven right by it but it's off a FS / country Rd.

Well maps beat goggle, Deep Creek Ski Area South of Anaconda on Hwy 274 T. 2N R 12 W. Sec. 20 on BLM land, probably overgrown.
    There is also Butte Ski Club South of Butte T. 2 N R 8W Sec. 4.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    PowderPanda likes this.
  7. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

LoL.. Old Schooler!! Merry Christmas Richard! I'm sure you're riding today. Took the day off. Not enough at the resort to entice me and I needed another day to clear this nasal cold I have going on.
  8. teledance

teledance

Wife has skis getting mounted and did not want to go on her old tele gear, flrst XMAS I did not ski in 17 years.
    On another note there is big beautiful mountain with open N face you can see from I 90 on S side. Near Anaconda.
    PowderPanda likes this.
  9. we climbed Sugar Loaf Mtn down hwy 569 about a half hour from fairmont hot springs, one of the smaller mtns in the area, easy access, about a 2 mile approach.....beautiful place.
    PowderPanda and teledance like this.
  10. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

Hey OldGrowth...
    Do you recall what time of year you hit SugarLoaf Mtn and how far in did the road go? Was there sled access up to part of it?

Hope this summer finds you well!
    Panda
  11. We went in early January, there is a plowed out parking area, no sleds allowed, about a 2 hr. skin in to the top
    PowderPanda likes this.
  12. PowderPanda

PowderPanda Staff Member

That's not bad!