Access to St. Joe Baldy

idsnowghost

Staff member
I've been considering the same thing lately, trying to talk Panda into getting the sleds up there for some turns. I'd love to get back there again soon.

In fact, today I just saw a FB post that some sledders made it up to Sheep Springs campground over the weekend. Follow Latour Creek Rd out of Cataldo to the Snowmobile parking lot. I asked for trail conditions so hopefully they will get back to me soon (in big snow years it's not passable from Cataldo side). Then it's about 14 miles up Rochat Road on the sled?

I've also heard people accessing from St Maries recently (skiing Reeds Baldy). They headed up Reeds Gulch Rd during the dryspell without a sled.

Remember to stay on the trails with the sled (see attached map, 27 is open to sleds too).

Attachments

idsnowghost

Staff member
Conditions from Saturday:
Mike the road was good going up. We stopped at Sheep Springs. Other riders said they tried to go to Baldy but the road wa drifted over pretty good. We decided not to gamble. Overall it was easy riding.

PowderPanda

Staff member
The drifted over part would be "Narrows Jr".. That's one of the most difficult parts as the snow drift is huge. Even during the cat boarding days, cutting down that drift was difficult.

Oh.. and to correct the txt I sent last night. Tingly Springs would be the best spot for a Spring camp spot to assault St Joe for a few days, or the ridge to the East side of St Joe.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Thanks for the good info. Any guess how long the sled ride would be (from Truck to skinning) this time of year? Is it reasonable for two people with one sled?

idsnowghost

Staff member
At this point I'd go from St Maries up Rochat Road as far as you can drive, then skin up to St Joe Baldy. When are you guys heading up?

Maybe we can get Pete to snap a photo of the snow line. I'll message him and see.

PowderPanda

Staff member
I miss Pete!!!
It would be good to know where the snow line is.. The South side will have been hammered with sun so the road more open higher. North side would be inconsistent as there are South and North facing aspects, so more thick snow sections making a vehicle (except ATV) fairly useless until higher.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Dylan,
From the North side can be a haul in.. If you don't know the road, print a map and have a GPS, as there care a lot of roads splitting off and get confusing. That said.. there is a lot of North facing that will have snow then hit South facing where it would probably be melted out up to 4000-4500ft level. So you would be either walking on snow a bit or dirt.. South side would most likely be melted out to the 4500ft will little snow walk..

idsnowghost

Staff member
Pete emailed a photo of St Joe Baldy and Pearson Pk taken from St Maries. Still plenty of snow up there, although doesn't give the best idea of the snowline.

Hope it helps:
20140429_091108-1.jpg