2015 Base Camp.

Hey guys, since I have moved to Sandpoint I have been wanting to do a winter base camp session. This thread is to help facilitate the adventure, and also to extend an invite to others.

The inspiration for this trip lies in the trip I did as a capstone for my NOLS course, a 14 day ski tour through the Absaroka Wilderness. I have gone on many adventures, but this trip stood out.

The idea is simple, but the execution dynamic. 5-7 days in the mountains with a meduim sized group, enjoying life to its fullest. A sample schedule...

Day
Meet at trailhead predawn... double check critical gear, preform a beacon check, load sleds (be they dragged or of the motorized variety) and head to the selected zone, find an ideal basecamp, and begin building camp. If quigloos or other large snowshelters are going to be made then they need to set over night, so most likely a night in the tents day 1.

Day 2. Finish camp, study/scout area, do a few tours, plan objectives, and settle into camp.

Day 3. Shred. Bonfire party.

Day 4. Shred, but maybe not as early.

Day 5, Break camp and head home.

The mAIN reason I havn't done this sort of trip in a while is simply because it it hard to find competent and willing people who want to poop in the snow for a week and have the required gear and skills to accomplish it.

So if you are interested in the idea and want to talk about it more, discuss things, or laugh at me for dreaming about having a little happy mini village of winter loving maniacs in the forest for a week, post it up here!

I will be continuing to present the idea to others and am hoping I can organize something epic this winter.

PowderPanda

Staff member
Sal,
Yes.. We have some objectives in mind for base camping.. A few that will give overall easier, fast access yet ride sick terrain.
Love the idea.. Review google earth maps and Hillmap.com in advance.

So far for possible locations I am considering is the upper pack in the non motorized area or something off the bull river hwy heading east into the cabinets. I havn't toured much up here, and would really like to be in an area without constant brappp brraaapp, though I wouldnt be opposed to hiring out a couple sleds to do a gear drop/pickup if we end up in a motorized area. specifically, I am hoping to located a zone that will have a variety of short steep terrain down low.

if anyone wants to PM me other possible locations feel free!

anyone have beta from the Ross Creek Cedars area? How is that valley for touring.

South fork of the Bull looks like promising terrain.

I'm definitely interested. I've been trying to get a group together to do this for years. A couple places I always had in mind were Roman Nose and Stevens. I love the idea of the Scotchmans. I've always wanted to ski there in the winter but I don't know any easy access other than Star Peak (not that Roman Nose is easy access either...).

PowderPanda

Staff member
I'm definitely interested. I've been trying to get a group together to do this for years. A couple places I always had in mind were Roman Nose and Stevens. I love the idea of the Scotchmans. I've always wanted to ski there in the winter but I don't know any easy access other than Star Peak (not that Roman Nose is easy access either...).
Agree… except ya might get woken by sledders at Stevens PK.. Ha

This last year we found some awesome areas that if we sled in, we would have days of riding fresh untracked and maybe in some cases never skied before runs! Further, Deeper, Higher!

cool man. roman nose isnt really on my list, way to much sled traffic. Because of the nature of our mountains and the long approaches, we may want to consider sledding in part of the way or doing a gear drop from sleds. does any one know how much sled traffic the chimney rock area gets (the basin to the west)

idsnowghost

Staff member
cool man. roman nose isnt really on my list, way to much sled traffic. Because of the nature of our mountains and the long approaches, we may want to consider sledding in part of the way or doing a gear drop from sleds. does any one know how much sled traffic the chimney rock area gets (the basin to the west)
Good point, might end up spending 2 days getting in/out of the camp without a sled assist.

I wouldn't think that west basin would get much traffic, but haven't been up mid-winter to verify. Usually the low hanging fruit goes first, but with snow bikes exploding in popularity.. who knows anymore. :)

I guess Horton Ridge used to be non-motorized, but is no longer. East side of Chimney is all non-motorized. Either way, you can probably sled up to the end of the road then hike up the ridge. I think Dylan tried to get up there last winter..

Thought about anywhere in the Bitterroots? Might look at Heart Lake area. It's non-motorized and has plenty of fun chutes to lap from a basecamp.

Ah, the elusive heart lake. A couple years ago, Sweede from Sweedes fly shop in spokane shared an image with me, that has haunted me ever sense. All I know, is its name is Heart Lake. He was unwilling to give me further details. I have scouted google earth for hours on end, from alpine lake to lowland lake, trying to match the topographic features to the image.

perhaps this is the heart lake you speak of, though I doubt it. I had not considered heading to the roots' as honestly my heart is set on something a little more local. i know its not the heart lake you refered to, but if anyone here can help me pinpoint this northwest gem, i will pay u back in top secret fishing locations and beer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/purplebutterfly1070/2768232393/in/photostream/