Do you love the winter backcountry? Will it be there in the future?

Recently, on Jan 28, I lead a Spokane Mountaineers group on the Stevens Peak traverse from Lookout Pass to Mullan, ID. We encountered snowmobile tracks on the entire route until we dropped into the Boulder Creek drainage. There were the usual tracks in St Regis. We also saw tracks from highmarkers in Stevens Lake basin, Lone Lake basin, and the south side of Stevens Peak. We had to wait while a group of 8 bilers descended the headwall at the top of St Regis to avoid being hit or avalanched. Unbelievable!

That's why some friends and I created the Backcountry Alliance. We've done everything we can think of to try to get the USFS to create a winter travel plan for the Stevens Peak backcountry. Look at the map of the area I'm talking about at http://ibackcountry.org

I've been trying to do something about this for about 17 years. Now I am 64 and I may not be able to ski in the backcountry for many more years.
So I'm asking you to think about what is important to you. If it's important to you it's something you're going to have to work for to save. It's a political problem and that means if enough people don't get active, nothing will change.

You can start by watching this video:

Last edited:
Unfortunately in America the loudest, most obnoxious, and most destructive are often idolized. Not sure why? Lead in the water?

Thanks Landon. After all this time and effort little has changed for the better. It is a numbers game. Our needs conflict with motorized users, who are very organized and vocal, and Lookout Pass ski area's expansion plans. The ski area has the money to pay for the NEPA process. The Forest Service (Idaho Panhandle and Lolo manage the Stevens Peak backcountry in ID and MT, respectively) has the tools to create winter travel plans under the 2015 OSV Rule. Winter snow sports, including backcountry skiing and splitboarding, are exploding in popularity.

How do we get the Forest Service to commit to winter travel planning? Their budget is dwindling. Travel planning costs money. The Forest Services resources are largely consumed by fire fighting and the rest is used up in operations and maintenance as well as permitting projects, which include the proposed ski area expansion.

So folks who use the Stevens Peak backcountry, including Copper Lake, St Regis, Stevens, Lone Lake and Boulder basins, will continue to experience a loss of quality skiable terrain until the Forest Service hears us, and is motivated to act. Not just one or two (thanks Eric Ryan and others) or even a handful of people, but a large number of us who value this area!

Recently, I have been involved in drafting an Objection Letter for the proposed Lookout Pass expansion along with the Winter Wildlands Alliance, Idaho Conservation League, The Lands Council, Montana Backcountry Alliance and the Spokane Mountaineers. It is the last opportunity to be heard during the NEPA process. Our major contention is and has been that a winter travel plan needs to be created before the ski area's expansion plans are approved.

How do we get more people to participate in the future?