Bald Mountain Near Sandpoint

I went up to Schweitzer today to check it out since I just moved here and to test out the new mtn bike! On my way to and from Spokane, while driving on US 2, I noticed a nice looking peak to the north when I was around Dover, ID. After looking at Google Earth I am guessing that it is Bald Mountain, which would make sense since it had numerous bare patches near the summit. Has anyone here ventured up there during the winter? Is it ski/ridable and or is there even access in the winter? Really just curious about the area, looked like some nice terrain to the north of Schweitzer when I was looking around at the summit as well. Any info out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Pete

idsnowghost

Staff member
I'd say most traverse to Bald Mountain from the triple chair at Schweitzer. Other access would be up Baldy Mountain Rd, but I'd imagine it's only plowed to the last house (or get up there early/late season).

We were up there this Sunday too! Sorry to have missed you. The wife and I ended up going and scouting around the "Hope's" and looking for places for her to paddle board. In doing so, explored a route above the South Fork on NF-278 to the top of several areas that look great! Including the power lines on Packsaddle and Green Monarch. Looking forward to Winter!

This has nothing to do with the thread really, but I have to find out what the south fork is, because I think you might have your names mixed up? 278 is the "Johnson Creek/High Divide/Scenic Route" I heard a rumor years back that some1 skied the monarchs to a boat.

I suspect you may be refering to the Clark Fork river? I can not think of any waterway around here known as a South Fork.

I imagine there is a ton of terrain sled accessible from back in there, and I am pretty sure the area does get some heavy use from sledders at times. I can think of some great spots up on the divide to build a snow shelter!